Old 02-10-2012, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default This year's Good+Bad (please add your own)

CT wrote:
Goldrush are yellow, yes? I've always found yellow ones much less
reliable.

They are yellow, yes. They were slightly behind the early gems in
terms of size & number but generally OK.

I've always found yellow ones are pretty, but not as good eating as
the green - the skins seem to be thicker, and they get chewier seeds
in the middle even when still courgette size. Always been rather
disappointed with them, especially since they seem harder to grow,
so I gave up with them.

Are early gem round rather than long?

No, they're normal ones. Some were left a bit too long and were more
like marrows.

Perhaps I'm mixing up with little gem squashes. They /sound/ round. :-)

I've found patty pans are by far the most reliable croppers and plants,
followed by green bush, then some of the darker green sprawly ones.