Old 02-10-2012, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default This year's Good+Bad (please add your own)

On 10/01/2012 11:41 AM, wrote:
Probably missed loads of stuff.

We don't do much veg but have some fruit here in lower Normandy. We had
a hard freeze on 13 May after a warm and very dry period.

Peaches: good crop
Cherries: none at all
Pears: none
Apples: a handful on 1 tree (Reinnette Blanche d'Espagne)
Gages: none
Plums: none
Mirabelles: none
Black currants: a few
Red currants: a few
Gooseberries: a handful
Raspberries: decent
Blackberries: decent (still going)
Loganberries: none
Tayberries: none
hazel nuts: decent
walnuts: none

So, pretty miserable in all. But the worst was in the Acer production,
where I have learned some hard lessons. I will not stint on Bordeaux
mix or snail/slug bait. I have managed things with a very light hand by
assuming that what didn't make it through the winter was going to die
later anyway. But to either snails or pseudomonas/damp-off I lost:

~ 20 variegated pseudoplatanus (sycamores)
~ 20 pseudosieboldianum
~ 20 micranthum
~ 50 ginalla
~ 40 davidii
~ 50 variegated palmatum
~ 200 interesting palmatum
~ 10 varied rare species (sinopurpurescens, pycnanthum etc) young grafts
purchased in pots

All in all, a disaster and then some.