Old 02-10-2012, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default This year's Good+Bad (please add your own)

BAD

Two main problems with me, other than natural ones.
1) I was away mid-may to mid-June, hence planting erratic and late
2) For sowing seeds indoors I used a year old bag of multi-purpose
compost, which turn out to be a disaster!

Natural problems, weather, slugs (hordes), caterpillars, weeds!

Beetroot None. Few plants germinated, three still growing but still
only 3" high
French Beans None - slugs
Broad Beans Reasonable, given that they went in quite late
Runner Beans Good, still picking
Leeks Loooking good
Lettuce so-so
Turnip Excellent and still growing well
Swede Very poor
Peas A few, from late sowing
Mange Tout. First time grown, from bought plants, good, but not really a
heavy crop
Spring Cabbage Still waiting for them to heart up!
Sprouts Disaster, plants just about a foot high
Curly Kale Very small but begining to grow now
Cauliflower Still waiting
Purple Sprouting Brocoli Plants growing stringly, looking forward to
good crop in spring
Winter Cabbages Slow to start, but now growing well, some begining to
heart up
Summer Cabbages What summer, what no cabbages
Carrots Reasonable, eventually, sowed serveral times before germination
Parsnips No germination at all
Onions Sets Quite good, but generally small
Garlic Disaster, over run by couch

On the soft fruit side

Strawberries (in pots) None, flowered well, started to form, then
nothing!
Blackcurrants Good, but not as bountiful as last year
Gooseberries Small, from old bush
Raspberries Summer fruiting v poor and some of the few next years canes
are now fruiting as autumn variety.
Autumn Fruiting Raspberries. Quite good, berries large, but canes quite
short, 3ft as opposed to normal 5ft, so quantity low.
Red Currants OK
Loganberry Very good, bumper crop
Blueberries Disappointing
Rhubarb Bumper crop, but then I split some crowns 2 years ago, so I have
a lot more to pick from

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales