Old 03-10-2012, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Weed Contol Fabric

In article , BertB.ae203b8
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

I'm a new allotment owner and looking for advice regarding weed control
fabric. I've weeded and dug over a section of the plot and thought to
buy some weed control fabric to stop the weeds coming up and wind
disperesed seeds landing and germinating i the soil. I've come across a
range of this stuff online at 'Weed Stop Fabric | Landscape Weed Control
| Weed Fabric' (http://tinyurl.com/ybqdujj) and it seems to be the good
enough to do the job but I would appreciate any views on it before I
make a purchase. Any comments will be much appreciated.

--
BertB

Usual recommendations for large areas a

1) Old carpet upside down (I would suggest woolen carpet, not sure about
modern man made fibre things)
2) Thick black polythene

It really depends on how much you want to grow next year, but I would
have thought a good solid covering over the winter would help,
especially as you have dug it over and broken it up.

I'm not a great lover of weed control fabric after this year. I put
some down on the paths through the fruit cage and whilst it stopped
weeds coming through there, round the edges grass developed, which
spread across the fabric and rooted into the surface!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales