Old 03-10-2012, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Weed Contol Fabric

On 03/10/2012 14:23, BertB wrote:
I'm a new allotment owner and looking for advice regarding weed control
fabric. I've weeded and dug over a section of the plot and thought to
buy some weed control fabric to stop the weeds coming up and wind
disperesed seeds landing and germinating i the soil. I've come across a
range of this stuff online at 'Weed Stop Fabric | Landscape Weed Control
| Weed Fabric' (http://tinyurl.com/ybqdujj) and it seems to be the good
enough to do the job but I would appreciate any views on it before I
make a purchase. Any comments will be much appreciated.

You don't say where you are but if you live in an area that isn't to wet
then I'd use ordinary 1.5 meter polythene, this will smother any weed
seedlings that try to grow, and will help the soil warm in the spring,
when you want to plant I'd remove the plastic and plant in the soil.