Old 04-10-2012, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What flower is this?

On 10/4/12 5:22 AM, Adria wrote:
Hello. I have had this plant for many years now (from my grandma), and
we always called it Camellia - but I googled for images of camellias I
haven't found any that resemble this one. Is it really that? If not,
could anyone please tell me what it is?Thank you!

|Filename: Photo0112.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15354|
|Filename: Photo0114.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15355|

Not all camellias have the classic formal flower, either a plain "formal
double" or a "rose-form double". Some have what are called "anemone
form", which is a disc of petals surrounding an irregular mass of petals
in the center. Others have "peony form", which is a double with an
irregular mass of petals.

It does look like a cluster of camellia flowers instead of a single
flower. However, if your photo is indeed of a single flower, this might
be a species other than C. japonica or C. sasanqua.

Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camellia for the other species.
That site also lists three camellia societies.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see