Old 04-10-2012, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default Sweet William seedlings?

On Thursday, 4 October 2012 13:33:33 UTC+1, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article ,

says...

I use a lot of Sweet William plants, growing from seed for myself and 2

daughters. They are finally grown in tubs, this year I was late in

removing them and have not yet planted up the tubs. In the tubs are

scores of, what looks to me like S W plants. Can I successfully grow

these on to become healthy plants to plant out next Autumn? This is when

I plant out those I have grown from seed sown in the Spring?

We have a corner at the bottom of the garden where I

planted a few excess Sweet William plants a few years

back. They are still growing there - or rather their

offspring are! I never cleared the area and have just

left it, they seem to self seed and grow on quite

happily, and I suspect that if I thinned out the plants

they would be as good as the freshly grown ones!

--

Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Yes, the self sown ones tend to come to flowering size a little later or sometimes the smaller ones don't flower until the following spring. It's been a few years since we bought any seeds.

Rod