Old 05-10-2012, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Rubber plant...

"Spider" wrote...

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Pam Moore" wrote

"Jake" wrote:

My mum kills plants.

She has currently a very sick looking rubber plant, the leaves are
very dull
and are drooping, not shiny like when she got it six months ago.

Any suggestions what I can do to liven it up or is it already a goner?

My Mum had an orchid (cymbibium) which was at death's door. I said
"Would you like me to take is home and see if I can revive it?"
Mum's house did not have central heating and was draughty. She
couldn't see well enough to water it etc. After 10 years the plant
still has not flowered, but last year I split it into 5 pieces as it
had grown so big!

The rubber plant may be too wet, or too dry, or too cold etc.
Feed it, sponge the leaves with water with a little milk in, and maybe
try a different place.

Pam, leave the Cymbid out in the garden all summer feeding well and keep
them moist, even wet, until the first frosts are forecast and only then
bring it into a just frost free place. Do not let them get frosted
though. Certainly no central heating needed, that is too warm. They need
the night temperature drop to spur them on to grow flower spikes.

Oh dear! I put my three Cymbids out all 'summer', but although they had
plenty of water, I forgot to feed them :~(. I brought them indoors at
the weekend, but only to an unheated garden room. If I start feeding
them now, do you think I stand a chance of seeing flowers? I thought
I'd cracked it this year; stupid to forget the feeding.

You could try a half strength Tomato feed.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.