Old 05-10-2012, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default What flower is this?

On Oct 5, 9:30*am, Adria wrote:
Thank you all for the answers so far. Still,it isn't a peony, and the
leaves are not those of hydrangea...The flower is like a small bouquet
(the little flowers forming it are about 1.5 cm in diameter, and the
petals are quite thick), and it gives off a very strong and pleasant
smell. It isn't woody, and the leaves are not camellia-like
either...That is why I really can't find an answer...Well, the leaves
smell somehow like geranium leaves. The flowers also have a sugar-like
substance on them...

'Farm1[_4_ Wrote:

;970252']"Marsha" wrote in message
m...-
Looks like a peony-

Foliage is not right for a peony.
-
"Farm1" wrote in message
...-
...-
In message , David E. Ross
writes
On 10/4/12 5:22 AM, Adria wrote:
Hello. I have had this plant for many years now (from my grandma), and
we always called it Camellia - but I googled for images of camellias I
haven't found any that resemble this one. Is it really that? If not,
could anyone please tell me what it is?Thank you!

|Filename: Photo0112.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15354|
|Filename: Photo0114.jpg * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *|
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15355|

Not all camellias have the classic formal flower, either a plain
"formal
double" or a "rose-form double". *Some have what are called "anemone
form", which is a disc of petals surrounding an irregular mass of
petals
in the center. *Others have "peony form", which is a double with an
irregular mass of petals.

It does look like a cluster of camellia flowers instead of a single
flower. *However, if your photo is indeed of a single flower, this
might
be a species other than C. japonica or C. sasanqua.

Check 'Camellia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camellia) for the other species.
That site also lists three camellia societies.

Assuming that the leaves in the photographs belong to the same plant as

the flower/s, is there a Camellia with leaves of that shape?-

Aha! *Someone else who thinks those leaves are wrong for a
camellia!!!!
-

-

Adria

It is Clerodendron chinense plenifolrum

description in Sunset Garden book: " pale pink double flowers w/ a
sweet fragrance, broad
clusters of flowers resembling florist's hydrangeas. "
You used the word 'Bouquet' which made me think of Cashmere Bouquet
another Clerodendron
The scented leaves was another good clue!

Emilie