Old 07-10-2012, 03:23 PM
Roy22 Roy22 is offline
Registered User

Default Care of new Privet hedge over winter.

Last Xmas, I planted three new Privet plants (3 feet high) to fill a metre gap in a long established Privet hedge. The gap had been opened up by the careless pruning of an adjacent tree by a neighbour.

When planting, I dug some bonemeal safely below the roots, whilst putting some 'Rootgrow' fungus on the roots of the pot-grown plants, this being the advice received at the time.

Since spring, I've been watering the plants weekly with a watering can of water plus a high nitrogen feed. They've grown well during the summer.

My question is, now winter approaches, what care should they get. Weekly water? Is high nitrogen feed, or anything else, wise over the winter months?