Old 07-10-2012, 08:20 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Dave Dave is offline

Default Help! Lawn damage

We have been at this location for 9 years with no previous problems. This year we re-seeded in late September and now have discovered overnight two large areas of extensive disturbance to the turf. I first suspected moles or voles, but on closer examination I see a large number of small pieces of turf that have been scuffed aside, but there are no tunnels beneath them. It looks like a large-ish animal, like a big dog or something, has torn up the lawn. But there are no footprints, and there is no sign of claw marks (the soil is soft and damp), and there is no history of dogs running loose in the area. I have no idea what is causing this, but the damage is extensive and I don't know how to control it. We have a new puppy, so poison is out of the question. If anybody has any ideas I'd appreciate hearing them.
Thanks
Dave