Old 08-10-2012, 03:24 AM posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default I now have a lifetime supply of ketchup

5 1/2 pints of green ketchup are in the BWB canner right now -- 4 pint
jars and one of those Atlas jars from Classico spaghetti sauce. Not a
bad yield from 10 pounds of unripe slicing tomatoes (Romas would have
yielded more and required less cooking.) I wasn't going to process it,
but I don't want to take up that much room in the fridge to store it.

I almost ruined it because I didn't realize the sugar is a critical
measurement, and I was going pretty much without a recipe. I started
with 2 cups of sugar and tasted it and it wasn't nearly sweet enough.
So I added another cup and it was too sweet (should have added just 1/2
cup) But after it cooked for a couple of hours it kind of balanced out.
I think it's OK.

Bob