Old 08-10-2012, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob G Rob G is offline

Default Weed killer advise

On Oct 8, 12:47*pm, wrote:
On Monday, October 8, 2012 9:25:09 AM UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 07/10/2012 23:23, Rob G wrote:

The area has a lot of grass which has been strimmed a couple of times

this year to keep it in check, and a lot of dandelions. *There is

Dandelions are easy - 12" screwdriver and/or broadleaf selective

weedkiller will easily remove them. Don't let them set seed!

brambles and convolvulus but not at any problem level and nettles are

at a minimum.

Brambles are easy unless there is a lot of them as in wilderness of

waist high brambles and nettles with convolvulus growing through it.

Any convolvulus is a problem level. You really need to hit that hard

with glyphosate and then try to get every last bit of root out. You will

fail but don't whatever you do rotivate with that in the ground or every

piece larger than 6mm will be a new plant!

Grass is exquisitely sensitive to glyphosate so it should die off now.

I suppose having just mentioned strimming, one solution would be to

strim it all down hard, and then bring in the mini digger. *There's a

Not worth it. Turning the soil over will probably kill most lawn turf

anyway (but not the annoying weed couch grass).

I did that last winter in my garden, 10x5m, had a lot of moss. After that I've added some bags of compost and sown grass then manually picked the weeds.

Don't spend money on digger, turn over the turf and add a layer of compost, the thicker the better.

DanP

Yes - it should have been done earlier. There's an est. 6 cub metre
mound of good earth in the middle of the ground, and a soakaway to be
dug. Hence the digger.

Rob