Old 10-10-2012, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Clearing a border

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 06:20:16 +0000, allen73
wrote:

There are lot of plants that are inexpensive, easy to care and easy to
grow. Do your own *'flower gardening' (http://tinyurl.com/9z75snb)* and
plant Flowering plants, ferns and foliage plants make a wonderful
border. If you want to start your garden in the springtime, then I would
strongly consider buying seeds and start them indoors. There are many
great plants that grow readily from seed, som blooming in as little as
40-50days. You can plant Bleeding heart, crocus, grape hyacinth, hosta,
primrose and wax begonia. These plants grows well in shaded area.

Bleeding heart really requires full sun to flower properly but it is
also quite invasive, I'd not plant that in a relatively small border.
Bleeding heart does best growing at the edges of a woodlot, if there
are no deer. I keep one large bleeding heart planted in a fenced bed
near my humming bird feeders. For a small border on a small property
I'd be more inclined to plant dwarf rock garden conifers leaving some
space for planting flowering annuals during warm weather or placing
pots of annuals. Conifers will add a lot more interest in winter.
Various naturalized bulbs will add color in spring. I would strongly
suggest resisting crowding in too many plants, they grow... they will
look puny at the nursery but after a couple three years growth you'll
be contemplating which to yank out.