Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Peony seed oil

On 12/10/2012 21:01, Janet wrote:
In article ,
says...

On 12/10/2012 10:55, Janet wrote:
In article , echinosum.aed8cd6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

David Hill;970655 Wrote:
Had this today, I must say I've never heard of Peony seed oil,
A little research indicates that it is something the Chinese value, it
hasn't caught on elsewhere. I would imagine that one would need Chinese
agricultural labour costs and Chinese agricultural conditions to make
money from growing it.

My tree peonies (lutea) produce such a reliable crop of very large
seeds, I'm glad to have found a use for them at TEOTWAWKI, which I
believe is due(again) in December.

The birds and squirrels leave them well alone so I'd never even
considere they might be edible.

Janet

They may not be. Incidentally any suggestions how to germinate them?

Very easy. I sow them straight off the bush when ripe, in a pot of
gritty soil and leave it outside over winter. They germinate the
following spring.

OK. Thanks for that. I am just being impatient I guess.

The Chinese site says 25C for 60 days to break dormancy do they need
that much extra heat to get going or are the cultivars in the UK easier?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown