Old 13-10-2012, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
Don Phillipson Don Phillipson is offline

Default Help please to indentify tree and pruning

"aberdeen" wrote in message

. . . I would think that the only way to stop the lower branches
collapsing
would be to cut back to the wood, then I would be afraid that would
damage it.

This is done by making several cuts (starting farthest from the
trunk.) This way you progressively reduce the weight pulling
at the original split, which reduces chances of stripping bark from
the trunk which you wish to keep. Leave the last stub one foot
longer than your long-term plan. When the plant has completely
healed, you can cut off the extra foot for cosmetic purposes.

(We assume you know the basic pruning cuts:
A = When shears can do the job at a single bite, do it.
B = When you must use a saw, first make a small
undercut below, to prevent stripping bark when the
branch falls, then your main cut across the top.

(The shape of the leaf in your elegant photo should help in
identify the species.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs