Old 13-10-2012, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Runner Bean Seeds

"Judith in England" wrote

I have grown runner beans for years - always very successful. I have
always
used bought beans as seeds. This year I have left some beans unpicked -
they
are quite long and quite big beans inside them now.

I intend to harvest, dry and us as seed for next year.

Any comments or suggestions please.

Yes it works well, the only problem may be if you grow more than one variety
like us in which case you will probably have hybrids between the varieties.
You need the pods to dry out and go brown and to start to split and show the
seeds. Red runners are purpley mottled and white are more white, both should
be plump and firm to the squeeze. I hang my beans up in a cotton sack in a
cool dry place for a while to dry properly and then bag them into paper
bags.

You can save the roots like Dahlias. They grow again with lots of sprouts so
you have to pick out the ones you don't want, you get early bean plants
though.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.