Old 13-10-2012, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Runner Bean Seeds

On 13/10/2012 14:36, Judith in England wrote:

I have grown runner beans for years - always very successful. I have always
used bought beans as seeds. This year I have left some beans unpicked - they
are quite long and quite big beans inside them now.

I intend to harvest, dry and us as seed for next year.

Any comments or suggestions please.

No problems, leave them on the vines till they dry out and the pods are
almost the colour of a brown paper bag, don't worry to much about rain
as they are maturing, I normally save my own seed and we have a high
rainfall, my pods are all still green and still swelling.
A frost or two wont hurt them, but Mice do like them as they ripen,
I pick mine and store them in an old sprout sack, cabbage net, onion
sack are also great to finish drying them indoors.
In Victorian times they used to save the roots to grow again the
following year, they will give you an early pick, but not a very large
harvest so best to grow fresh each year, though a few roots in pots can
be interesting.
I would never plant runner beans closer than 4 inches, I usually sow 2
seeds every 6 inches to allow for those that fail or get eaten.
For peas I've always taken out a drill about 4 inches wide, (the width
of a drag hoe blade) and scatter the peas along the drill.
If you plant to close you can run the risk of Mildew in humid weather.
David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay where even on a sunny day we still
have to have the odd shower.