Old 15-10-2012, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback[_3_] Broadback[_3_] is offline

Default Manure too fresh?

On 15/10/2012 02:51, Farm1 wrote:
"Baz" wrote in message
I have had 40+ open bags of horse manure delivered today, Sunday. So it is
not quite retail.
It is not rotted and looks like it was "laid" 3 or 4 weeks ago.
Ok, I got it for free but was wondering what I am going to do with it.
I think it is not weedkiller infested because there is some grass or
something growing in some of them.
What to do? I don't have a big enough area to compost it.
Dig it in or bin it?

Don't dig it in and certainly don't bin it. I've used horse manure in my
garden in all states from the 'well rotted' to the still steaming and very
fresh.

It makes a wonderful mulch on fallow beds so given that the UK is now in a
garden down time, you could just tip the bag contents out onto a fallow bed
and leave it undisturbed till Spring when you'll find lots of worms where
the manure meets the soil or you could spread it or put the whole lot in
your compost bins and add the red wriggler compost worms. Horse manure is
wonderful stuff given that it's so mild and roses in particular seem to love
it.

And view with some doubt advice given by any person who tells you that
manure must be well rotted or it burns. It doesn't, if used with some
degree of thought on the part of the gardener.

As you got it free, if you wish to leave it, is there a neighbour that
has a spare area where you could agree to store it for a while, then he
gets an agreed amount of the product.