Old 15-10-2012, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Pruning apples question.

On 15/10/2012 10:58, Charlie Pridham wrote:

"RiversideRed" wrote in message
Our orchard in Northumberland, which has around 40 various apple
trees, along with a lot of stories
or lack of fruit in the North and other areas, our trees produced 1
apple.
Question, as I prune each year, should I rest them or prune as normal.
Usually late January.
Thanks Mike. Near Hexham.

Crops were poor down here as well, I think part weather this spring
during flowering and part due to the very heavy crops the year before. I
intend pruning as normal. (I would have said 1 apple was plenty of rest!)

I'd also be inclined to prune as normal - though perhaps leaving a few
more branches at full length on any tip bearers. I got a few more apples
than one but the birds ate most of them whilst I was on holiday

Absolutely no pears at all though and only a handful of plums. And these
are trees that in a good year will feed the entire neighbourhood!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown