Old 15-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Roy22 Roy22 is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider[_3_] View Post
On 08/10/2012 18:50, Roy22 wrote:

Many thanks for all the detailed replies! I freely admit to knowing
very little about plants, but I can follow good advice, of which there's
quite a bit here. If I understand you all...

They don't need feed or water over winter. I should have switched to a
high potash feed mid-summer, but can still give it a shot now. I should
also have cut them back a bit to harden (oops, was letting them grow to
fill the space a bit) and mulch on the surface will aid water retention
& keep frost away. Oh, and watering is best done slowly rather than a
minute's blast with a watering can (oops again). Good thing mother
nature's been around longer than I have.

Thanks again,

Roy.

Spot on, Roy! I think you've got it.

Naturally you want your hedge to reach its potential height asap, but
trimming it as it grows will help to thicken up the hedge as well as, at
the moment, helping to produce harder wood for the winter. Don't worry
too much about your 'oops' collection, we've all got one of those; it's
how we learn.

As to feeding, it's worth remembering that Nitrogen (N) encourages green
growth (stems and leaves); Phosphorous (P) encourages root growth;
Potash or Potassium (syn.) (K) encourages flowers, fruit and ripening.
When you buy fertiliser, check the label for the NPK ratios. These will
tell you the proportion of each element in that pack. A 'general'
fertiliser (ie: Growmore, Phostrogen) will have equal parts: 5-5-5. A
high nitrogen feed will perhaps be 7-4-4. A high potash feed may be
4-4-7. This should help you understand how to feed your plants.
Experience will help you get the timing right. Never make the mistake
of using more food in the belief that your plant will be healthier. It
will not, it is generally harmful. If you know you are a bit
heavy-handed, give a half-strength feed instead.

Another valuable lesson is to remember that, in winter, plants can
suffer from 'frost drought'. This is when there *is* moisture in the
ground but it is locked up and icy hard. The plants' roots are unable
to take up the solidified moisture as they can only use soluble
nutrients. I always keep a weather eye on my plants and, if they look
desperately dry and wilted, I will water them. It's a tricky decision
in icy conditions, but I find it helpful.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

I have also snipped back the ends of the larger/taller stems, by an inch or so, to encourage hardening off. But I'm not sure if this is enough for the purpose? It sort of goes against instincts to chop away much hard-earned growth (I know, plants are supposed to respond by growing more) so I'd appreciate any advice on how much cutting back is wise at this point. I live in the Midlands, if that's relevant in terms of climate.