Old 15-10-2012, 10:24 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond RUSSELL View Post
Hello all

I'm replanting various black currant, red currant, gooseberry, raspberry.

The strip of ground in question ranges from
full sun all day to partly shaded in the afternoon.

Which of these need the most sun ?
Which will tolerate - or even prefer - a little afternoon shade ?

Best regards
Ray
Red currant, raspberry and gooseberry all will produce a reasonable crop in shade. How much better they'd be in full sun I don't know. In the wild gooseberries crop up as an undershrub, raspberries are more often open to the sky, but the UK centre for raspberry production used to Blairgowrie (Scotland) so one would assume they haven't got very high requirements for sun. As another poster says, redcurrants need bird protection.

I've never grown blackcurrants so can't comment on them.