Old 15-10-2012, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Original Jake The Original Jake is offline

Default Commercial potting compost

On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 12:09:28 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , The Original
Jake writes
Hence my decision a few years ago to shift to coir.

I used coir blocks one year and found that using them to do the first
potting up of rooted cuttings with some fertiliser (not much), the
plants fair romped away making HUGE rootballs very quickly, I was very
impressed and assume it's because the compost is so light.

Coir is really light and airy which helps root development. As long as
you feed (coir contains no nutrients at all) it's great. Plus if you
forget to water and the surface dries (a) it doesn't crust so
rehydrating isn't a problem and (b) it goes a very light brown so you
have a "need to water" indication before the roots get dry.

I've also had better results when planting out which I put down to the
fact that any garden soil will be more nutritious and hence root
attracting than the coir. So you don't need to worry so much about
making up a planting mix to surround the rootball, just make sure the
soil is well dug and "loose" to admit the roots.

Seed sowing in coir is also a lot easier when it comes to pricking out
as the coir doesn't get all claggy around the delicate little roots.
OTOH, you need to prick out much earlier before the seedling uses up
the nutrient store in the seed! I find using a pair of tweezers
helpful as the seedlings are too small to hold with fingers - that's
how soon I prick out!

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.