Old 23-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Default Potatos

"Nick wrote in message after
Bob wrote

| One of the old gardeners (growing veg for 60 years +) on our allotment

site
| never bought seed potatoes, he always went to a local supermarket and

bought
| the biggest cheapest spuds and planted those. He always got the biggest

crop
| of the biggest potatoes.
|
| However, if they carry any disease it will be transferred into your

soil.

And they aren't likely to taste any better than the ones he bought
in the supermarket.

I'm not so sure on that Nick, a lot of plants from Supermarkets etc have
little taste nowadays and even flowers from florists don't have much smell
either but I believe in a lot of cases it's the growing method rather than
the variety that's to blame.
i.e. as an experiment I took some cutting from bunches of totally
non-smelling spray carnations bought from a local florist. The next year,
when they flowered out on the allotment, they had the most intense carnation
perfume, they'd been grown hard, out in the open, not soft/quick/under
glass.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.