Old 15-10-2012, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Well That's it

In article ,
says...
I wish I knew how to grow swede properly. Mine have always been small and
like a carrot in shape, not cylindrical(if thats the right word) Have you
any tips for me?
I don't know of anyone who has had the slightest cob of sweetcorn this year
localy. Just a bad year I suppose.

My swedes are never brilliant, but do swell up to tennis ball
size, or a bit bigger. I think one of the secrets is do not plant
the seed thickly and then thin out, they seem to hate disturbance
of any sort. As they grow mostly on the surface, I never plant the
seed very deeply either.

Who said I had any cob's off the sweet corn! Well to be honest I
did pull a couple off at the weekend before the frost, only 3/4
set and not very swollen. Frost finished off the plants.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales