Old 16-10-2012, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Are witch hazels usually grafted?

On 15/10/2012 22:46, kay wrote:
My yellow Hamamelis is, as usual at this time of year, in flower. So I
thought I'd check on the orange one. It too is in flower .... but
yellow.
It's just one branch that is flowering, and it's a branch that starts
from very low down. So I conclude that my orange hamamelis is grated on
to a yellow rootstock. Would anyone agree with this conclusion?

Pretty sure that is the case. They graft the cultivars onto seedling
stock. They are very early to be flowering now but then it is an odd
year. Mine are usually out in January. My Daphne is flowering tho!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown