Old 16-10-2012, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Care of new Privet hedge over winter.

Yes, I think we're all agreed that you can take a break from hedge
nursing for a while. In Spring, when the warmer weather boosts new
growth, you can consider further treatment.

Your hedge is a year old near enough, so it should be able to cope with
winter weather. If, however, you have *very* heavy snow, it may be
worth using a broom to brush the thick snow layer off the top of the
hedge, to prevent the weight of snow breaking or distorting the plants.
A light covering of snow is not a problem and may, indeed, act as an
insulating blanket. It's the weight of thick snow building up that can
be troublesome.

Relax now and have a good winter.

I would say your privet has had enough pampering, now is the time to let
it stand on it's own 2 feet so to speak.
Privet is as tough as old boots when left to it's own devices.