Old 16-10-2012, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Roger Tonkin[_2_] Roger Tonkin[_2_] is offline

Default Woodpecker

In article , damduck-
says...
Nice, what variety was it? The greater spotted that visits here
only seems to go for peanuts even though there are feeds available
from nearby feeders. They are about 20 yards away from a window, a
large niger seed feeder is about 4ft from the window, had about 14
goldfinch on it this afternoon.

Our greater spotted visitor tends to go for the fat balls first,
then when they are gone moves on to the peanuts. Doesn't seem to
touch the sunflower hearts feeder. During the breeding season,
they did seem to just go for the peanuts, and brought the
youngsters along, sat them on the trelis and fed them there, until
they were big enough to feed themselves. Not had a visit in recent
weeks.

As for goldfinches, we had loads, and siskins, but all of a sudden
they all disappeard. I left the niger seed out, and we now have a
couple visiting (takes them over a week to get through a small
feeder). Not seen any siskins since early September.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales