Old 16-10-2012, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Original Jake The Original Jake is offline

Default Woodpecker

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 20:31:22 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

As for goldfinches, we had loads, and siskins, but all of a sudden
they all disappeard. I left the niger seed out, and we now have a
couple visiting (takes them over a week to get through a small
feeder). Not seen any siskins since early September.

As I've said before, ditching nyger seed and putting sunflower hearts
everywhere has resulted in increase in both numbers and variety of
birds here. Today had copious quantities of green and gold finches,
sparrows, collared doves and tits of various types. And the lesser
spotted woodpecker is still visiting the peanut feeder.

Squirrel has given up trying to get peanuts out of the feeder and now
visits the bird table for sunflower hearts. Birds don't seem to mind;
they coexist on the table with him.

Tom Cruise rat is still doing his morning obstacle course to the
hanging bird feeder but has, I think, been defeated by the removal of
the adjacent hanging basket which he used as a launch pad to jump onto
the feeder (other rats have been observed entering the garden via the
bait box tunnels, presumably after a lethal feed as bait blocks in the
boxes are being eaten).

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.