Old 16-10-2012, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default My corn harvest

On 10/16/12 2:46 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
This sorry spectacle presents the results of what started out as a
fairly decent corn patch.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/...ornHarvest.jpg

Even allowing for (a) late cold Spring and (b) my procrastination and
(c) effects of global warming ?, I expected better. The plants looked
very healthy. But in the end, not one had full-filled ears.

Anyone in climates similar to So Calif coastal have a clue?

TIA

HB

Did you plant in a single row? Or did you plant in a block with closely
spaced rows?

Your photo looks like what happens when the tassles did not get enough
pollen, which happens when corn is planted in a single row or in
multiple rows with too much separation between the rows.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see