Old 17-10-2012, 12:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Manure too fresh?

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 5:14:13 PM UTC+1, Baz wrote:
I have had 40+ open bags of horse manure delivered today, Sunday. So it is

not quite retail.

It is not rotted and looks like it was "laid" 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Ok, I got it for free but was wondering what I am going to do with it.

I think it is not weedkiller infested because there is some grass or

something growing in some of them.

What to do? I don't have a big enough area to compost it.

Dig it in or bin it?

Baz

Rotting and digging in are ways to get maximum result with minimum failures. But that's all. Ignore both and lots of plants are perfectly happy. I don't dig anything in most of the time, just dump it on the surface, the worms etc do the work.

One year I had a load of sawdust to get rid of, and was clearing a patch so dug it in. I planted the lowest value crop, cabbages, right away and they thrived. They're all just best practice guidelines.

NT