Old 17-10-2012, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_12_] Billy[_12_] is offline

Default Oversized red beets

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Roy wrote:

I have a number of over-sized beets. I hate to throw them out but they are
about a foot long and too big for pickles. These are giants that my
good-hearted
brother gave me 'cause he didn't know what to do with them.

Any suggestions?

very hard to know if they are any good or
not until you do some chopping and cooking.

if they are woody you'll know fairly
quickly.

if you can slice and dice them easily
enough then they are probably ok.

i pickle beets of all sizes. i cut
them into 1/2-1/3 inch cubes, then steam
them until done before adding brine. most
times i cut up onions and put those on top
when steaming.

songbird

I had one the size of a softball. There wasn't anything woody about it.
I was dubious though.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or