Old 18-10-2012, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default My corn harvest

On Oct 17, 4:35*am, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Higgs Boson said:

This sorry spectacle presents the results of what started out as a
fairly decent corn patch.

http://s1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii566/giborah/?

action=view&current=CornHarvest.jpg

Even allowing for (a) late cold Spring and *(b) my procrastination and
(c) effects of global warming ?, I expected better. *The plants looked
very healthy. *But in the end, not one had full-filled ears.

Anyone in climates similar to So Calif coastal have a clue?

Climate not at all similar to So Cal but I did have several of my corn
plantings with similar results this year. *In my case, it was likely due
to stressful growing condition: extreme heat and drought. *The tassels
browned out quickly and the silks dried out.

Aha! Maybe extreme heat. We have had, and are still having, episodes
of wildly anomalous (sp) heat in the early "Fall", which may have
shocked the poor things.

Next year, if I am spared -- if we are all spared -- I will plant much
earlier. If, that is, I decide to continue veggie gardening. Am
considering abandoning veggies and just taking care of the
decoratives. We consume so little that even buying good organic
produce is probably more cost-effective than spending all that time
preparing, planting, watering, veggies in hopes of a harvest.
Tomatoes are particularly unhappy here -- I'm not the only home
gardener in this area to report bad vibes.

OK, thanks everybody. It's time to have a word with the watermelon
vines that are still under the impression that this is mid-summer...(:

HB

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes, swooping is bad."