Old 18-10-2012, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rbel[_2_] rbel[_2_] is offline

Default Woodpecker

On Wed, 17 Oct 2012 13:25:01 +0100, "Sue" wrote:

We get green woodpeckers feeding on our lawn quite regularly and
stopping off at the birdbath for a drink, but they're also fond of
flying up onto the side of a telegraph pole that's just behind our back
hedge and going round it in an upward spiral. I'm not sure if they're
investigating all the cracks and crevices for insects as if they think
it's just another tree, or if it's a convenient place to cackle from -
which they do, rather loudly.

We are lucky to have both Greater Spotted and Green varieties. The
Green only feeds on the front lawn (40+ ant nests at last count) and
the GSWs use the fat and peanut feeders in the back garden.
--
rbel