Old 22-10-2012, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,alt.usage.english
GordonD GordonD is offline

Default OT Serious question

"Donna Richoux" wrote in message
Lewis wrote:

In message
Robert Bannister wrote:
On 21/10/12 1:36 AM, Peter Duncanson [BrE] wrote:

ObAUE: Is that drawn meaning open or drawn meaning closed?

Serious question: can "drawn" ever mean the curtains are open? I would
have thought that it had to be "drawn back" or "open" and that "drawn"
always meant they were closed.

This is different from the action of drawing and the verb to draw the
curtains, on the other hand, which are always ambiguous.

I thought 'draw the curtains' meant "open them", but drawn curtains were
closed.

More like "pull". Pull them closed if they are open, pull them open if
they are closed.

Neither phrase (nor curtains, for that matter) is common in my life.

I really, *really* wish I'd said "make sure the blinds are closed"...
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."