Old 23-10-2012, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default Diesel rotavator

On Tuesday, 23 October 2012 17:18:18 UTC+1, Baz wrote:
I was given a Howard Gem Hatz 780 24" rotavator. I gave the chap �100

anyway.

It has a Kohler K301T engine.

It is in need of a good overhaul and was wondering if there are any like

minded people here. I will need engine parts though I have had it started..

Of course it looks like a heap of scrap and I am new to diesel engines but

I think I can do it.

If this is the wrong group, which I know it is, can someone point me to the

correct group?

Thanks

Baz

I'm a bit confused about the engine on this one. You say it's a Hatz diesel, then you say it has a Kohler engine.
I only know of Kohlers as petrol engines. The Hatz diesel was a 2 stroke diesel engine, and a good one. So I wonder if it's had an engine transplant at some point, it's often the case with old Gems.
I can tell you a certain amount at least about operation of the Hatz diesel if in fact that's what it is. The Kohler petrol engines as fitted to the Gem were pretty much standard industrial engines that should be self explanatory to anyone experienced with larger petrol driven garden machines.
Try online for facsimile manuals, parts etc.
There used to be a rump of Dowdswell - the company that took over the brand after Howard went bust and you could get some spares from them but I don't know if they're still going.
A local firm that serviced our old Gem always seemed to be able to get bits and Gems are still being used by many landscape firms so you should be OK.

Rod