Old 24-10-2012, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Placement of Avocado Tree

On 10/23/12 12:55 PM, W wrote:
I am looking for a few good candidate plants to grow in the shade of large
redwood trees. Would Avocado trees do well there? I understand these
plants normally grow in shade of the canopy in the forest. This is for
California Bay Area climate.

Sunset's "Western Garden Book" indicates avocados require full sun.
While part-shade might be okay in desert areas, you might not get enough
heat in the shade in your climate for the fruit to ripen.

In any case, make sure you get a variety suitable for your climate. Not
all avocados do well that far north, even in full sun.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see