Old 24-10-2012, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
W[_2_] W[_2_] is offline

Default Placement of Avocado Tree

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
On 10/23/12 12:55 PM, W wrote:
I am looking for a few good candidate plants to grow in the shade of

large
redwood trees. Would Avocado trees do well there? I understand these
plants normally grow in shade of the canopy in the forest. This is

for
California Bay Area climate.

Sunset's "Western Garden Book" indicates avocados require full sun.
While part-shade might be okay in desert areas, you might not get enough
heat in the shade in your climate for the fruit to ripen.

In any case, make sure you get a variety suitable for your climate. Not
all avocados do well that far north, even in full sun.

Perhaps there are different answers for different cultivars. I read in one
source that the Avocado tree's bark cannot protect it from full sun. They
grow in the forest canopy and then pop out of the canopy as adults. Of
course at that point it is the leaves and not the bark that get full sun
exposure.