Old 24-10-2012, 04:56 PM
Granity Granity is offline
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
On Wednesday, October 24, 2012 2:58:03 PM UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 04:37:07 -0700 (PDT), meow2222 wrote:

My little (300cc) single cylinder diesel genset ...

I've no idea what engine size the 7kVA generator was, but it started on
the handle ok. Too much force required for a pullcord. I expect less
than 300cc.

My genset is only 2kVA... For a 7kVA set I'd expect an engine over over
1000cc.

I figured if a 1.8d can produce somewhere in the region of 100hp = 75kW, 200cc would power a 7kVA gen at 6000rpm, or 600cc at 2000rpm, very roughly.. Single speed operation offers better optimisation & efficiency, but gen engines are more basic than car engines.

300cc 2kVA with 80% gen efficiency means about 2.4kVA = 12.5l per 100kVA or 1.05l per 7kVA.

OTOH I later had a 1.5 petrol that was much harder to handle crank, why I don't know. Probably a good thing as it had no spark retard provision!

You can get a lot more umph into a handle than you can a
pullcord, just keep your thumbs out of the way. B-)

Heh

NT
Gem service and repair manual, covers both petrol and diesel:
http://www.allotment.org.uk/media/83...air-manual.pdf