Old 24-10-2012, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hazel

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Christina Websell
writes
I didn't see a single hazel nut on the way home, and I checked every
tree.

Should think it's the same reason that there are very few pears or
apples about. Either they had such a good year last year that they
exhausted themselves or this year the weather has been too awful.

I've noticed that there's less fruit visible on whitebeams this year -
an obstacle to me improving my understanding of the group.

Travelling around the Chilterns I have seen very few nuts and sloes
this year too though my crategus crux-galli was covered in huge
berries until last Saturday when an army of blackbirds, pigeons and all
manner or smaller birds descended on it and they have stripped the lot
in three days.

....................... Now where's my Bird Trust survey on birds and
berries gone, so i can fill it in !

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley