Old 25-10-2012, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy[_2_] Janet Tweedy[_2_] is offline

Default Hazel

In article , kay
writes
My filling in is going to be a dead loss - at the moment the blackbirds
are busy with the apples and mulberries - and I've been told not to
include any trees where I am in competition with the birds ...

The rosehips are being taken by greenfinches. Otherwise I don't expect
any berry/bird activity until the mistle thrushes arrive for the holly.

Well i can recommend growing a cockspur hawthorn! The berries are at
least twice the size of ordinary hawthorn though the needles and the
leaves are also twice as big. The colour is fantastic at the moment as
well, the leaves being much more rounded and not cut like the hedging
stuff means that the colours shine out.
--
Janet Tweedy