Old 26-10-2012, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Diesel rotavator

Baz wrote in
:

"Pete C" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
I was given a Howard Gem Hatz 780 24" rotavator. I gave the chap £100
anyway.
It has a Kohler K301T engine.
It is in need of a good overhaul and was wondering if there are any
like minded people here. I will need engine parts though I have had
it started. Of course it looks like a heap of scrap and I am new to
diesel engines but I think I can do it.
If this is the wrong group, which I know it is, can someone point me
to the
correct group?

Baz, have a look here....
http://chat.allotment.org.uk/
scroll down to 'equipment shed'......might get some advice there.
HTH
Pete C

Nice one. I will explore it in depth when I can soon. Just the sort of
thing I am looking for.
Right now, seeing that I have a very long weekend, I have the thing
started and running, and am going to run it over the garden 'cos I
can't wait. It's been running for about 5mins and it sounds less
rattly and no smoke so I think it would be rude not to give it a go.
New toy.

Thanks for the link
Baz

I tried this rotavator at home on my light soil and it was OK, just too
heavy and it got bogged down sometimes.
Today I passed it over the allotment which is clay soil and it is a
dream, quite muddy conditions but it is up to the job. Like a knife
through hot butter. Neve did the revs. go down even through parts that
have not been forked over. Its a messy thing. Chucks mud at me. A few
modifications like mudflaps need to be done somehow. It is also an art to
turn the thing around at the end of a pass.
All in all a pretty good experience.

Baz