Old 28-10-2012, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Is keeping rabbits for the table OT here?

"Peter James" wrote in message
.. .
Martin wrote:

On Sat, 27 Oct 2012 18:51:37 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
A friend used to raise rabbits for food. He said after eating the
first
they almost gave up because it was terrible and bland. Then they
realised
they had to leave it to mature for a while, and he is now a huge fan
of
it.

D shoots the ones we get. I usually cook them (fresh) in a cream and
mushroom sauce No complaints around here

Rabbit was one of the last things I ate before going vegetarian. My
dad
sat
and picked the lead shot out of it before making a stew. I honestly
can't
remember at all what it tasted like.

The lead shot or the rabbit? ;o) I am lucky in that D is good enough to
always shoot them through the head, so I have never had to deal with the
lead shot

How does he make shot only hit the head? Maybe he uses bullets?

Back in my younger days when I did a lot of rough shooting, I would sit
in a field hedge with the wind in my face and wait for the rabbits to
appear at dusk. I would then shoot them with a .22 semi-repeating rifle
fitted with a silencer and a telescopic sight. Always through the head,
that way you didn't spoil the meat.
My local butcher would pay me 2/6d for each fully grown rabbit. As the
bullet cost about 3d it was money for jam.
Sometimes I could get 25 or 30 rabbits in one evening.

Peter
--
It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

Attributed to Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797

Peter as a matter of interest, how long ago was this and what did the
butcher sell them for? Would like to compare it with today's prices/profit