Old 28-10-2012, 08:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Maroochy[_4_] Maroochy[_4_] is offline

Default Down By the Dam-6527

Bob Hobden wrote:
You have so many beautiful natives I agree with you. However it's in
the nature of gardeners to prefer the unusual, the exotic, it's why
some of us in the UK have heated greenhouses at huge cost. Just to
keep plants you think as ordinary alive. I have a large Hedychium
greenii which I am trying to keep alive through the winter, too big
for my little heated greenhouse, yet you could easily grow it in your
garden. Strange world.

I wish you all the success there is.
I do have some Hedychium gardnerianum and Hedychium coronarium growing wild
in the dam overflow area. The perfume from the coronarium, is almost
intoxicating when it is in full flower.
I also have a area earmarked to be planted out totally with various gingers,
but I have a few other things to do before I get around to that.
I'm not a purist, I'm quite happy to have exotics growing amongst the native
plants, however there were a lot growing here that are obnoxious as far as I
am concerned, though I know they are prized in other countries. Chief
amongst them is lantana ( a declared noxious weed and declared weed of
national significance) and Dutchman's pipe vines (Aristolochia littoralis).
I've just about totally eradicated both from all parts of our land, thank
goodness.