Old 28-10-2012, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Is keeping rabbits for the table OT here?

On 28/10/2012 12:14, Baz wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
I wondered because it is gardening, but perhaps not for this group.

I don't know but they talk about chickens. I would like to hear
about it anyway.

Well, I asked because I recently ate a very nice meal made by my friends
wife, of rabbit in gravy with mashed potatoes, cabbage and carrots.sic. I
loved it. I didn't know it was rabbit beforehand so it was a bit of a
surprise.
They have reared their own rabbits but I don't think they have done it with
their welfare as a number 1 priority. That pees me off.
I would like to breed some to use but only if I can look after them
properly, so I would like to hear some advice if anybody has some for me.

When I kept them they were in hutches in an old chicken shed which was
arouns 8ft x 6ft and 6ft high, they could then go out into the old
chicken run which was arouds 20ft square.
Looks as if the breed favoured now is the Newzeland White at £10 or so each.
Do remember thast you have to be able to kill the young when ready for
the table and to skin and clean them.
It helps to have a freezer so that when a batch are ready tou can kill
them all at the same time, remember each week that they are feeding the
more they are costing.
This link is worth reading
http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_6803894_ra...ts-profit.html
David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay