Old 28-10-2012, 03:04 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Mad Cow Mad Cow is offline

Default Down By the Dam-6527

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
"Maroochy" wrote

Mad Cow wrote:
One Torbay palm is enough for one view. At least they're easy to cut.

I had to Google 'Torbay Palm', never heard cordylines called that before.

I know in the UK we call them Torbay Palms or Cornish Palms because for a
long time those were the only places they were seen growing those areas
having a milder climate than most of the UK. Now you see them everywhere
indeed I had a large one felled last year but still have another. Funny that
the UK name should have travelled across the world when they are actually a
New Zealand Cabbage Palm.

"Torbay palm" recalls the "English riviera", a budget substitute for
places where real palms would grow. In the 1970s there were three huge
grimy specimens outside St Johns Wood tube station.
--
Sue ]