Old 28-10-2012, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Parrafin suppliers- North West

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 18:28:57 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

Paraffin comes from same source as petrol and diesel, so will be
similar in price to them - around £1.40 - £1.50 per litre

But nearly 60p of that is road fuel duty, the base oil cost and profits
for the supply chain on road fuel costing £1.40 at the pump is around
55p... (28p VAT, 58p Duty). Hence heating oil being about 60p/l
delivered.

Electricity is about 14p per kWh (although only about 6 pence per kWh
on Economy 7 rate, ...

You need to find a better tariff, I pay 9.04p/unit but that isn't E7.

The E7 is 17.41/5.8 but that has *no* other charges and all units are at
that rate. If we used much from the E7 supply I'd shop around for a
better tariff. I'd expect to knock a good 4p of the peak rate and a
couple of p off the off peak.

If the OP does have E7 then using that rather than oil even at 60p/l may
well be the cheapest option. But a good value normal tariff would be more
expensive than oil at 60p/l but not at garden centre paraffin prices...

--
Cheers
Dave.