Old 29-10-2012, 11:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Her@Nowhere Her@Nowhere is offline

Default Parrafin suppliers- North West

In article , says...

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, I don't yet have an electricity supply to my greenhouse,
which is a job planned for next year to coincide with electric to power
my pond pump. Both are a decent distance from the house so a temp hookup
isnt really practical - which is why I bought the parrafin heater.
I think if I were to change and buy a gas burner the additional cost
would outweight the saving in fuel initially - so what I need to find is
a cheaper or more efficient way of running the machine I have bought. It
is a big heater but my greenhouse is 10x 12....

I'm curious what you need to heat the whole GH for at this time of year?

Before you buy anything else I'd invest in a cheap max-min thermometer and keep a record of
the natural temp variation in different parts of your GH.

To frost protect small cuttings or seedlings I used to put a plastic-sheet tent over
susceptible plants,on a section of slatted staging in the least-cold area of the GH, and use
8-hour night lights under it on frosty nights.I had bubble insulation to spread over the tent
at night. The heat from the TL rises and is trapped.

If you have any outdoor cold frames, use them inside the GH in winter; instant double
glazing for plants. I've even been known to burn a tealight in outdoor frames at night.
Cheapest TL's by the bag from IKEA.

Janet