Old 30-10-2012, 02:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Parrafin suppliers- North West

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 21:03:57 +0000, David Hill wrote:

I wouldn't touch heating oil with a barge pole.
I've seen a crop of over 2000 tomato plants wiped out overnight when a
flue blocked and the fume from a heater filled the glasshouse.
Another time a cucumber crop lost the same way, Sulphur burns the
foliage of the plants, some are a little more tolerant than others.

Fairy Nuff... presumably a commercial sized greenhouse and a hefty heater
to produce an out of season crop though rather than "just keeping the
frost out".

We used to clean out glasshouses by burning piles of sulphur and
Nicotine shreds in closed down houses then leaving them for 24 hours.

That's some what more concentrated than the fumes from a few litres of
oil. B-) But yes, as a fumigation (insects?) it was certainly used.

So if heating oil is out we need to find a source of BS2869 Class C1 oil.
I guess one place to start is looking for contact information on the
expensive containers in the garden centres.

The main oil distribution depot for Cumbria is the BP Depot at Dalston,
supplied by rail from the Grangemouth refinery. I think all the local
suppliers probably get their oil from there. try contact the depot direct
to see if they actually have BS2869 Class C1 oil, they probably won't
sell direct but should be able to put you in contact with a "retailer".

I wonder if the "premium" 28sec heating oil that costs a couple of p more
per litre than "regular" 28sec heating oil is actually BS2869 Class C1.
It's supposed to burn cleaner and produce less gunk in your boiler.

--
Cheers
Dave.