Old 30-10-2012, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default Parrafin suppliers- North West

On 30/10/2012 14:18, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 21:03:57 +0000, David Hill wrote:

I wouldn't touch heating oil with a barge pole.
I've seen a crop of over 2000 tomato plants wiped out overnight when a
flue blocked and the fume from a heater filled the glasshouse.
Another time a cucumber crop lost the same way, Sulphur burns the
foliage of the plants, some are a little more tolerant than others.

Fairy Nuff... presumably a commercial sized greenhouse and a hefty heater
to produce an out of season crop though rather than "just keeping the
frost out".

It was a house of tomatoes planted at the end of March and being given
heat for the first few weeks, and this happened over night.